On this page
If we tell you that you are a preferred candidate, you are our first choice for a New Zealand Scholarship. But we only give New Zealand Scholarships to preferred candidates who get a place at an education institution and get a student visa.
Admission and scholarship acceptance process
- We make first contact: First, we contact the international admissions team at your preferred education institution.
- You apply for admission: You must go to the website of your preferred education institution to apply for admission as an international student. If you are a preferred candidate you must start the admission process as soon as you are notified, because this process can take two months for undergraduate students and three months for post-graduate students.
Your preferred education institution may ask for verified copies of all official documents, for example, a valid passport, birth certificate, government ID, academic records, English language test results.
Important note: You must respond promptly to all communication from your education institution. If you do not communicate with them promptly, we may remove you from the list of preferred candidates.
- You get an Offer of Place: If your education institution accepts your application for admission, they send you an Offer of Place.
- We send scholarship letter: We check the Offer of Place from your education institution. Then we send you a Scholarship Letter of Offer, offering you a New Zealand Scholarship.
- You accept scholarship within 14 days: You can log in to the New Zealand Scholarships online application system to read and accept your Letter of Offer. You have 14 days to accept the Scholarship Letter of Offer online. A signed Scholarship Letter of Offer is a legal contract between us and you.
When you sign a Scholarship Letter of Offer, you must accept the scholarship conditions.(See bottom of page.)
Exception for Kiribati paper forms: If you were eligible to apply using a paper application form, we will email your Scholarship Letter of Offer. Paper applicants must print, sign and scan the Scholarship Letter of Offer. Then they must email the signed electronic copy of the Scholarship Letter of Offer back to us.
- You fulfil the obligations of your scholarship: To keep your scholarship, at all times scholars must respect the rules laid out in their letter of offer and the Code requirements of the Scholarship.
Please note: Due to COVID-19, some aspects of the Scholarship Conditions have been modified or suspended. Scholars on scholarship will be advised by providers as required.